EpiX – Epic Pixel Heroes
Notice to all retro graphics lovers – the pixels in this game must be added to your collection. For other normal people, whether you put this game in the frequent play folder or in the box that gathers dust in the attic is up to you… but the game ratings suggest it’s either one or the other.
Gameplay: There’s a little pixelated Viking warrior who is totally swarmed by hordes of Orcs… I mean quite literally thousands of them. You play as an omnipotent being who can cast magic spells which will rid the area of orcs. All you do is tap on the screen and you’ll smash the orcs in the vicinity of your depression… I’d like to tell you more about the core game… but… well… that’s actually all there is to it. Every round you kind of play a whack mole type style game but instead its freeform and Orcs are running at the lonely Viking from all angles.
On the side of the extreme tapping gameplay there are coins to collect and achievements to fulfil. The money can then be spent on special spells which will allow you to survive the waves of orc armies.
Good stuff: The overall game theming here is pretty good. The fantasy realm stylisation with triumphant old school music is truly a job well done. It’s just a bit of a shame that not much else happens in this game apart from a supreme amount of tapping!
Muscle Training: The amount of screen bashing is truly out of this world… I mean you’re going to be flexing your finger muscles so much that eventually you’re going to resort to arm movements because your fingers are tired! In this respect the game can form part of your daily gym arm work out.
Interesting stuff: So at the time of writing, the game has been over 50 thousand downloads. But the star ratings are very polarised. People either love it or hate it! It’s not bad for a 5 min little play, and the achievements can bring me back for a couple more games… but I can’t figure out why people would want to continue unnecessarily smashing their phones!
Rating: 2.5 EpiX has some charm to it, but unfortunately the lack of diversity in the game play makes it a tedious and repetitive game very quickly.
EpiX Promotional Youtube Video
EpiX Tips from Android Games Review
- You’ve got to balance out where you tap on the screen. If you tap too far out then you may make it harder for yourself to collect coins. But if you’re too close to your hero then you run the risk of hurting your hero with your attack. There’s a sweet imaginary ‘O’ ring which you should get used to tapping on.
- If you’re going to play this game then don’t use the power ups – they’re for the wimps who can’t take max intensity and pressure. Instead really increase your screen tap rate.
- Just kidding about the above tip – the reality is that you can do many levels without the powerups and you should accumulate money until you really need to purchase something. (Remember that the best powerups tend to be the most expensive ones).
- Left and right of the hero has a lot of space which will allow you to anticipate the orcs, but the ones coming from the top and bottom will be harder to predict. So you should expect to smack them down almost as soon as you see them.
- The hero can take a bit of damage and there doesn’t appear to be an amazing advantage to keeping your hero at 100% through the full round.
Developers: Blinzy Studios SL